Friday, June 24, 2011

The Snowy River Ride

We left Lakes Entrance at around 9.30 heading along the Princess Hwy to Cann River where we turned left onto the Monaro Hwy heading to Cooma in New South Wales. We arrive at 2.00pm after stopping for coffee in Bombala,  it is a great day to ride, cold and crisp but the sun is out. We join the Snowy Mountain Hwy 45 k north of Cooma and ride through the open grassland and rolling hills. The snow is not here but we are pleased of that as the temperature is up at 14c+


Just had to see it

Into our fourth State in Aus

The Snowy Mountain Highway
The Mountains aren't that BIG
Well who did you expect to see in the
 Snowy Mountains

The small town of Cooma.
Other than seeing Frosty there didn't seem to be
any reason to stay.

A nice sunny day 
 We had planned on staying in Cooma but as it is such a great day and we have arrived so early we decide to push on to Batemans Bay. I had checked out the route I wanted to take on Google Earth and it looked to be sealed so off we go onto one of the many back roads.


The fun begins I let this car pass me
and end up eating his dust
 Well I guess I had not checked far enough because after we had covered 20 km the dirt arrived. As the surface was good we pushed on and I soon got my mud legs back, speeding along at 50+ km/h we were still making good time.
You have to be standing to do this properly but up there
It gets cold quick.

Back road through the forrest
I had not planned on doing 35+ km on the dirt when I left this morning especially with my new road tire on the back!!
Some nice and wet to make it slippery 

Over 35 km on this stuff
We push on and eventually the sealed surface returns. We ride into Braidwood and join the Kings Hwy for a fantastic ride to the coast again along nice sweeping corners with a very fine surface. (and I am only told to slow down twice)

No comments :

Post a Comment