Saturday, March 5, 2011

Getting In and Out of Chitwan National Park

Before we got to Nepal we had been told we should visit Chitwan National Park so we emailed them so check the cost and availably after checking it out on the web. They got back to us pretty quick with a three day two night package and we both decided it would be a great experience so we confirmed our dates and asked about the bike and where we could park it, they got back to us saying I would have to leave the bike outside the park at their pick up area and that of course was just not going to work. So after explaining to them our trip and the value of the bike they responded with an OK and said it would cost $3.00 us per day to bring the bike into the park under special permit, Great we said lets do it!!
So after arriving in Nepal we email again to confirm our dates and get more info on the pick up point were we would meet them. The next reply came as a bit of a worry. The told me to get into the park was a 7 km road dirt road (that was no big deal after India) and it would also entail one small river crossing for which I could hire a tractor to get me across if needed.

Oh SHIT as I see the first river crossing
Well the strange thing is that a few days ago I had riden over a bridge and thought to my self hmmmm I haven't tried a river crossing yet!!! Be careful what you wish for!!
So undeterred but wondering how I would manage to get the bike in the back of a trailer we left for our rendezvous point.

The second river was the BIGGEST and the DEEPEST
ONE river crossing would have been fine but by the time we got to the lodge I had done seven in total The worst being more than knee deep and more than 100 feet across. What a rush and let me tell you when the addrelin is pumping the super human strength is amazing, I was so close to dropping it so many times in the river but knowing the problems I would have had I just kept it going. My boots where filled many times pushing the bike over the bloders but I also knew the bike was up to it so on we went.

Half way through

And out but my boots are FULL
The whole ride was a rush, I can say that now after I got in and out safely and I am sure pleased I did the off road training course with Rawhyde in California (thanks to Jim and his team)

This road would have been challenge
 if it were not for INDIA 

The adrenalin was pumping all the way

Now put some mud in there!! 

Getting checked in at the gate

Well I made it in
I now have to get out in two days
We have video of the trip out that I will get on You Tube soon.

No comments :

Post a Comment