Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Dead Sea

Going down to the dead sea
After spending two nights in a really bad hotel in Amman with no heat, no room service ( I mean they never cleaned the room) and a very lousy breakfast the weather changed, the snow melted and we got the heck out of there. It was only 35 km to the Dead Sea so we headed off for a swim. The road to the Dead Sea is mostly downhill as it is 350 plus meters below sea level. Chenty had done some looking on the internet and we decided that we would stay at a resort on the water rather than pick one inland a bit as it would not be good to ride back to the hotel after going for a swim. That of course would cost a bit more but after our last two nights we both felt we deserved a break.

The Dead Sea mud
The first place we came across was the Holiday Inn resort so we rode in and got a room $112.00 JOD per night that’s about $130.00 can but it was right on the dead sea so I didn’t have far to go for a swim.
After getting settled in we walked down to the water to have a look when you look close  you can see like a film in it and it actually feels oily and taste, well salt is the number one ingredient in it and it tastes BAD. Undeterred I slipped into my swim shorts and joined the crowed of Aussies already lathering up in Dead Sea mud. It is said that to cover yourself in this mud and swim in the dead sea will take 20 years off you looks!! So I got to try this.

Look no hands
After letting the mud dry for 15 minutes to a hard baked finish it is time to get it off so in I go, now I float pretty good on the best of days but this was something else there is no way I could immerse myself in this water I think it would be impossible to drown in it, It is not recommended to put your head in the water as getting it in your eyes would not be good so after a fifteen minute soak to get the mud of my body I was quick to get under the shower for a rinse. Funny thing is as I was walking up the beach to the shower the hotel staff where putting these signs up in the sand.
Oh well too late now I got my swim in the Dead Sea.  Do I look any younger?  I know I feel great!

To late I got my swim
Posted by Picasa

No comments :

Post a Comment